After all is said and done.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Magical things happen when you work with people that are driven by passion. There is much more in this world than money. And lastly, I would rather be an extraordinary garbage collector than a normal stock broker" - Speech by Pete Teo.


Random find but it is nice to know that someone out there share's my sentiments. I salute Pete Teo. Let's dissect each part, shall we?


People driven by passion are really a sight to behold. There is a yawning difference between them and we common folk. The twinkle in their eyes when they talk about something close to their heart, a deep desire to make their mark on the world which is truly laudable. I've chanced upon some. And, it makes you wonder about what drives you. I've known for a long time that books were a passion. But I never thought of going into the publishing business. I entertained the notion of being a writer once. Or even an editor. But my pessimism and the thought of never producing something I am truly happy with always gets the better of me and I negate myself the right to being satisfied with something I've written. I might be overly critical, but I always believe that, one day I will find my niche. That doesn't stop me from feeling ecstatic when I find a quaint little bookshop tucked in the corner of one Melbourne's little footpaths. Or the smell of new books. As much as I love books, I have come to believe that it doesn't mean that I need to be surrounded by it 24/7. I have many other interests. And that doesn't mean I don't have a passion. Talk to me about books. And I'll make you see stars. 


Does the world even believe there is more important things than money these days? Or are we obsessed about the next paycheck and career progression? I believe that being blessed with good things in my life, I have never felt the need to want money. But then I get snide remarks when I tell this to many people, especially those apparently wiser than myself. "Oh you're young, you don't know what is important". Sure I do. Health, happiness and love among others. Is that not enough? I like what money buys but I'm sure that without all the materialistic things money gets you these days, we can still be happy. They did it in the olden days right? When a game of marbles was a childhood novelty. Not the latest Nintendo Wii. 


There is a reason why they say that to know what is important in life, ask a child. Because those are the minds that are most pure and not yet marred by the passage of time. I do hope that kids these days continue to live up to that old saying. It would be a shame for them to tell me that the most important thing was to get a new video game. This transitory life on earth is just that, transitory. Materialistic things come and go, kids. 


Now the last line in that statement is what I feel most connected to. I do not judge. I try my best not to at least. But really, to me, to know if a person is truly genuine, how they act in a restaurant is a dead clear way to tell the sweet talkers from the most humble. Do they thank the wait staff? And see how they treat that old cleaning lady, who probably did not ask to be born into such circumstances, to be working at 55 years of age to feed herself. Do they smile at the janitor on the way to the office. Who works until the wee hours of the morning to feed his children and put them through school, that prays every night for God's grace to grant them a brighter future. You can belong to the highest echelons of society, but if you cannot offer a word of thanks to the people who deserve it, you are not a nice person. Everyone was born equal and hence, deserve equal respect. It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

3 gave their two cents:

Jie Juan said...

Well, sometimes I still wonder what is TRUE happiness and what is a TRUE goal in life..

http://jiejuan.blogspot.com/2011/04/through-struggle.html

Oh, how are you? Doing good? :)

Sara said...

JJ! Hello how have you beeen?

I'm good :) Been enjoying here lol.

I know what you mean right. True happiness is really what you define it to be I suppose :)

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog..and this particular post talks to me a lot.. keep writing!!

 
Musings Of My Kind - by Templates para novo blogger