Are you a Japanese or Korean?

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Friends aren't back from Aussie yet and most of them who are here are sitting for their finals. HENG, LETS GO OUT. :D


So, since the diet hasn't kicked off and the exercise isn't on high speed either, I've been indulging in a few Korean dramas. Okay, I have to clear this up before I continue. I'm not one of those people who can constantly watch drama after drama. Maximum 3 episodes a day. Mainly because I find these dramas so SLOW. Its EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOW. And hor, I despise the sad, bawl your eyes out kind of dramas too. I CAN'T cry when the girl has cancer/ the guy has cancer/ the girl leaves/ the guy leaves etc. Call me cold and emotionless but I just don't find it sad when you make me wait for 3 episodes for the girl to finally tell the guy she is dying when I guessed it 6 episodes ago. Then they start crying and I start rolling my eyes. Its NOT depressing when its so slow. I tell you, I watched Winter Sonata and I only shed two tears during the entire show. I thought it would be nice since it was THE drama but I just felt restless for a good part of the show because the plot was like a ping pong game. Back and forth, back and forth. 

If I want to cry, I'll watch Selena and Stepmom. They never disappoint to make me shed buckets.

So ANYWAY, a friend gave me a few comedy ones to watch because she can't stand the sad ones either. And I was never up to date with all the Jap and Korean dramas to begin with. Friends go "You HAVEN'T watched it??!!" Then I go "No" I never had the patience to watch dramas that were sooo draggy. And I doubt I could watch it AGAIN even if the series was funny. Which makes me wonder how some people can watch the drama over and over again. 

Anywho, the point of this post is watching these Korean dramas made me recall the few times I was mistaken for a Jap or Korean. I worked at a Jap restaurant once a few eons ago and did get that question or remark thrown at me. And to be truthful, it always made me a little happy when I was asked that or was mistaken for a Jap. Then there was one time when I was shopping for earrings.

Sales girl: Are you Japanese?
Sara: *smiles sheepishly* No.
Sales girl: Korean? 
S: Uh no.
Sales girl: Then? *Raises eyebrows*
S: I'm Malaysian.
Sales girl: Oh. Really?
S: Yeah.

I don't know why she was so surprised. I never thought I looked much like a Jap or Korean. The main reason I always felt a little happy was because I always had this conception that Korean and Jap girls are prettttty. Big, doe eyes. Long eyelashes. Fair skinned.

This has always been my conception of Korean girls.

I've been pretty blind. I never had an interest in Korean or Japanese people before this year. So now, since I have been listening to Korean and Jap songs and thus watching more videos, I have a deeper insight of what the majority of the girls look like. 

I'm not implying ANYTHING. You be the judge. After watching more videos, I realise the Korean fans look VERY different from their idols. It's not surprising how these girls worship their local idols. Then I remembered how big an issue plastic surgery is for the girls over there. I don't know how true the stories are but I read that almost all the Korean singers went through plastic surgery before they could even become famous. No wonder those girls want plastic surgery for their birthdays :(

So now if I ever get another comment on whether I am a Jap or Korean, I'll always wonder, " Do I look THAT bad?" There's always a 50/50 chance. Either you look like a pretty singer.... or you don't. Which means the majority of the population. Sigh. Dreams crushed yet again.

8 gave their two cents:

Janus995 said...

haha so cute la the way you turn pessimistic at the last part. nice post. ;)

Sara said...

Hahaha. Cheeps. It's true. Sad but true :)

Jie Juan said...

I like Japanese dramas because of the girls XD. There was a time when someone in public asked me,"Are you Japanese? You sure do look like one!" XD

Sara said...

Somehow, the Jap guys look better :D Haha. Jap dramas are not so slow as well.

Janus995 said...

Korean dramas are annoying...watch Korean movies instead.

Sara said...

Both also slow la. I think I've only watched one Korean movie in my entire life. Haha

Anonymous said...

I find this post very entertaining. Wehehehe.

Anonymous said...

Naah, you're definitely underestimating Korean movies. Try 'Infernal Affairs', or '2009 Lost Memories', they're one hell of movies ^^

 
Musings Of My Kind - by Templates para novo blogger