HIV victims.Should We Discriminate?

Sunday, September 04, 2005

HIV/AIDS.Yes, a word that means a lot to some people.Especially those who are stricken with such a disease.

I'm sure most of you by now would have heard this advertisement on the radio.To those who don't, let me give you a rough summary of it.

It starts of with various people speaking.One by one they introduce themselves by saying their name and occupation.I cant exactly remember all so I'll just make up a few la.It goes something lika "I'm Eric.I'm a consultant.I'm Daniel.I'm a doctor.I'm Jenny and I'm a biotechnition."There are about ten or so people speaking up.Then...when all is said..a woman says "One of these people is HIV positive.Can you tell?......(Music plays in the background)...."Your ears do not discriminate.Why should you?".

I've always thought this advertisement was a great way to enlighten some on the topic.I never get tired of hearing it.It was really thought provoking and I totally agree with it.

Discrimination is common nowadays.But sticking to the topic, discrimination against HIV positive people is also common.Being humans, we sometimes tend to look at things in black and white.We tend to block out things that seem foreign to us.In the light of this topic, we tend to shun people who are different from us.That includes disabled people as well but thats a whole other story.

It sholudn't be the case however. Have you ever thought about how they might feel?That maybe all they need at this time in their lives is a friend?Someone to be there for them?A shoulder to cry on?Yet, we do the exact opposite.By shunning them and making them feel like outcasts.Do you actually think that they like carrying this disease?Not knowing if they might be able to fight it?They are people like us after all.People with feelings, hopes and dreams.

Cases of HIV infected people are rising everyday in Malaysia.Latest statistics show that one out of every four Malaysians tested for HIV turns out positive.Year by year the government tries to do something to help these people.Some attempts are successful.Others not.

Not everyone likes to admit it.But we do tend to discriminate one way or another.However, there is always a chance for us to change.If we are willing to make the change that is.

Conclusion : Should we discriminate?You be the judge of that.

5 gave their two cents:

germae said...

HIV/AIDS.
Sometimes I don't know whether to feel sorry for certain victims because some of them contracted the virus consciously, almost as if they submitted to the infection for a pleasurable minute-or-so, knowing the mounting risks.
But then again....

And the advertisement was one of the more creative ones yet I've ever heard on local radio.
Something good to say, at least.

Sara said...

yeah...well when I wrote this post,I guess I was thinking about all those innocent victims,children for example, who contracted the virus.Definately there are those who could have prevented it.

Just think before you act ok?

Thanks for dropping by Mae!

Anonymous said...

ya,totally pity the children..born in2 the world wit such a dreadful n horible disease..sigh..i now my baby nex time NOT gonna b my like tat..wahahaha...u noe who's baby is it..me n him..wahhaa..oopss,out of topic pula...nwy,sara.let remind ur smart brain again.check out his blog!!!!

Sara said...

Yes adeline.you definately won't have a baby that carries that disease.You're smart.You know better.Can't say that bout everybody though.
Yes dear.I checked out his blog.
Thanks for dropping by adeline!

Anonymous said...

wahha..finally u check out his blog..thx ya..dun he look cute wit the cream on his face??yes!!

 
Musings Of My Kind - by Templates para novo blogger